Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reservations for Dublin made!

Dawn and I have been going back and forth on where to go over the Memorial Day weekend for months now. Finding 130 Euro R/T tickets for the two of us to Dublin pretty much sealed the deal on that.

In preparation for this trip, I've decided to apply for a European concealed weapons permit so that I can be more prepared - just in case someone tries to use my face for batting practice again. Since it is well-known around the world that all Americans are rednecks, sleep with their hunting rifles and can shoot a fly off a fence post at 100 paces, I should have no problem getting this permit. Once awarded, the European Council of Self Defense and Alternative Weaponry (ECSDAW) will present me with a choice as to what type of weapon I would like to carry. The types of weapons offered change over time. In the past I've heard that such things as sharpened paper clips, 3 year old sticks of gum, emory boards and hardened clumps of mud have been some of the top articles picked for personal protection. I'm afraid that nowdays, the pickings may be even slimmer. A wadded up piece of paper may be all I can use, but I'll have to be careful. If the paper gets even the slightest bit wet and therefore heavier, I could be the one charged with assault when fighting off a mugger.

But, I digress. We're going to Dublin - Home of the Leprechaun, the place where potatoes were invented, and most importantly, the home of Guinness Beer. I've never told anyone this before, but I really hate Guinness. Hate it. I think it is one of the worst drinks out there. I'd rather drink Miller Lite. I'd rather take a 3 hour bike ride on a 100 degree day and then squeeze the sweat from my socks in to a cup and chug it rather than drink a pint of Guinness. I have kept this opinion to myself for years and years but I don't know if I can keep it to myself while in Dublin. Another reason for my applying for a European concealed weapons permit. I think the Irish may take their beer more seriously than the Canadians. Yikes.

In all honesty, we're really looking forward to the trip and have been wanting to visit Dublin for some time now. We'll definitely be putting plenty of pictures up when we get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment