Friday, July 3, 2009

Off to Indianapolis for the week

Paris, Kathmandu, Sydney, London...... Indianapolis. Nothing against the city of Indianapolis, but I'm just finding it hard to get excited about this trip. Twenty hours-plus of travel, it's for work, and it's about as far from the mountains and an ocean as you can get. I have driven by the city before, as in seen it from a distance, and remember this thought going through my head; "There's Indy. Probably as close as I'll ever get." And I was fine with that. But, now I find myself traveling from Germany to spend an entire week in the heart of the city. It could be worse, I guess.

One thing that does cause a tiny bit of concern is something I read yesterday on Wikipedia about the city. There was a little factoid stating that is was the most conservative metropolitan area in the United States. I kind of find that hard to believe after visiting Texas last year and having lived in Alaska, both of which are pretty conventional and inflexible when it comes to some viewpoints. I don't think it will be a big deal and shouldn't affect me. Hey, as long as the food is good, I'm able to sleep well and the conference I'm attending doesn't bore me to death, I should be a happy camper.

I wasn't going to take my good camera with me on this trip, but Dawn convinced me that I probably should. Indianapolis looks like a nice city and it might be fun to wander around in the evening doing a little urban photography. It's better than staying in the hotel room watching the latest reality shows.

Anyway, we're off early tomorrow. Dawn is going to drive me down to Munich and then I'm off. I doubt I'll post much of a trip report after this one, but may put a link up if the pictures are decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment