Friday, May 10, 2013

New Beginnings: Grow Food, Not Lawns

The future home of our food.  I will have a more detailed description of our gardening effort for this year soon.  Currently, we are scrambling to get things set up and built for the season.  It has only been a week since most of the snow has melted and we have been able to see our lawn for the first time.  It seems as if finally, spring has sprung in the far north, but lows are still a bit too close to freezing to comfortably put anything delicate outside yet.  Here is a view of the yard only one short month ago on 09 April 2013:


I did take some new pictures today showing the current progress of things.  I hope to have those posted soon. I may work on those while I wait for a delivery of lumber for an 8'x16' greenhouse I'm going to build, the plans for which you can see HERE.  I still need the ground to thaw out a bit before I can dig holes for the footers and a bed for the gravel, however!  Hopefully warmer temperatures are in the forecast, but I see that the NWS is calling for possible snow next week....

Welcome to gardening in Alaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment